Saturday, July 19, 2008

Putting Wellness in Perspective

My view of wellness is that it is just one aspect of total Stewardship. When man was created, he was assigned the steward or manager of all creation (Genesis 2:19-20).

Here are some of the Facets of Stewardship as I see it:

Time -- Each of us has the same amount of time, and responsibility for how we spend it. How well we use our time is a significant measure of our ability as stewards. Eph 5:15-16 Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men, but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil.

Talent -- I am responsible to use wisely whatever ability I have. My talents are unique, and if I don't do what I am able to do well, there may be no one else available who can do it half as well as I could have.
Lu 12:48 … And from everyone who has been given much shall much be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more.

I Pet 4:10 As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.

Treasure -- Giving is one of the greatest blessings of life. I can enjoy the remnant far more after giving generously to others.
Mal 3:8-10 10 “Will a man rob God? Yet you are robbing Me! But you say, ‘How have we robbed Thee?’ In tithes and contributions. You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing Me, the whole nation of you! Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this,” says the Lord of hosts, “if I will not open for you the windows of heaven, and pour out for you a blessing until there is no more need.”

Temple -- This is where wellness comes in. If I neglect my wellness, I am allowing my temple to fall into disrepair. To make matters worse, neglecting my wellness also hampers my ability to use my talents effectively, and probably diminishes what I can give.
I Cor 6:19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?

Talk -- It seems obvious that I am responsible for what I say, yet many folks spend their lives saying things that get them into trouble.
Mt 15:11 “Not what enters into the mouth defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man.”
Mk 7:20 And He was saying, “That which proceeds out of the man, that is what defiles the man.”
James 1:26 If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless.
James 3:2 … If any one does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body as well.
I Pet 4:11 Whoever speaks, let him speak, as it were, the utterances of God … .

Thought -- This may take a little thought to work through, but the concept is that what I think sets the course for my life, so is a matter of significance. What I think about influences what I say, and my words influence what I do.
Pr 23:7 For as he thinks within himself, so he is.
I Pet 1:13 Therefore, gird your minds for action … .

Team -- Whatever team I join becomes my responsibility, at least in part. Each player on a sports team bears some responsibilty for winning. Each member of a family will contribute to its effective functionin
I Cor 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy.
I Tim 5:8 But if any one does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has defiled his faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Although the practice of stewardship is not our ticket to enter heaven, it is clear in Scripture that the mature believer who truly loves the Lord will practice wise stewardship in all aspects of life.

No comments: