Thursday, October 1, 2009

Healing Prayer

Let’s consider again these two scriptures (quoted in the New American Standard translation):

Mark 5:25 – 29 A woman who had had a hemorrhage for twelve years, and had endured much at the hands of many physicians, and had spent all that she had and was not helped at all, but rather had grown worse-- after hearing about Jesus, she came up in the crowd behind Him and touched His cloak. For she thought, "If I just touch His garments, I will get well." Immediately the flow of her blood was dried up; and she felt in her body that she was healed of her affliction.

2 Corinthians 12:7-9 Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me--to keep me from exalting myself! Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness " Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.


I thank God for modern medicine and all the good that it does, but there are times when the physician does not have the answer. There are alternatives to the care of physicians that might be appropriate in some situations, and one of them is prayer.

The Bible promises answers to prayer (see next paragraph), and I have personally observed many in my time. I believe that God invariably answers prayer. However, He often will give us what we need rather than what we ask for. I learned to modify my “gimme a job” prayer, instead asking God to protect me from taking the wrong job. I have often prayed for healing, but on one occasion I was moved to pray instead for the Spirit to be with a lady, rather than to pray for her healing. Looking back, I could see God’s guidance – the lady died in surgery the following day. She was ready to go, and the Lord took her home. That event helped me understand that the purpose of prayer is not so much for us to beg favors from God as it is for us to seek the presence of God and “tune in” to His Spirit.

James 5:16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.

Matthew 18:19-20 Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.

Matthew 21:22 And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.

John 14:13-14 Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.


The Lord Provides!
Myron Remington

No comments: