Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Natural Healing – a personal episode

I grew up in a family accustomed to conventional medical care. When I had pneumonia, I was the recipient of an interminable series of penicillin injections. Later when I discovered allergies that led to recurrent bronchitis, I knew to see the doctor and get antibiotics to enable me to get rid of the cough. When I discovered cancer, it was my immediate response to schedule surgery. Traditional, all-American medical care at its finest.

But over the past ten years, I’ve discovered a totally different world of healing. Attention in advance to wellness minimizes the likelihood of illness. Prompt application of time-proven herbal tonics enables my body to fight off the illness without the adverse effect of many pharmaceuticals.

The past couple of weeks is a good illustration of what can happen – at least it did for me; I don’t know if anyone else would have had the same experience.

The adventure began with a three-week stay in a humid part of the country, near the Gulf coast. After a couple weeks of working daily in a room which had been used as a storage facility until converted overnight to office space, I developed a steadily worsening cough. It progressed to the point that I had difficulty getting to sleep, and even woke up with my chest aching.

Seeking advice of one I know to be familiar with herbal remedies, I obtained a one-ounce bottle of Herbs, etc. “Lung Tonic.” As suggested, I took a dropperful every three or four hours for about four days, then as my cough let up, reduced the frequency to a couple times a day and finally once a day. One week after beginning the Lung Tonic, my cough was gone. I had used one-half ounce of the tonic.

Not feeling quite right yet in spite of sleeping far more than I normally do, I followed a suggestion to try bioAllers “Mold, Yeast & Dust” allergy treatment. Following package directions, I took 15 drops under my tongue every 3 to 4 hours. Within four days, I felt no need to continue. Although I still can sleep a little longer than I usually do, my symptoms are otherwise completely gone.

This is not even remotely a suggestion that you should copy what I did. I am not an herbalist, much less an MD. My point is that my body and yours are naturally equipped to heal without pharmaceuticals from many of the common maladies that affect us. There are times when the only reasonable course of action is to seek medical treatment. The distinction is that I have assumed responsibility for my own wellness, and choose whenever possible to treat my body with respect for its innate ability to heal. Rather than treat symptoms, I want to treat causes. Rather than submit to risky pharmaceuticals, I choose natural cures if available. My wellness is my concern, and I suggest that each of us should take charge of his own wellness.

No comments: